Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Why Wednesdays




Why do Catholics... BELIEVE IN THE HOLY EUCHARIST?

Catholics believe that Jesus himself gave us himself in the eucharist during the last supper. We believe that he did this in the account of the last supper in Matthew 26:26-30 (below), Mark 14:22-24, and Luke 22:19-20
"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks,* and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, 28l for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins. * I tell you, from now on I shall not drink this fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it with you new in the kingdom of my Father.” Then, after singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."

In St. Paul's letter to the people of Corinth (1 Corintians 11:23-28) he tells them again of the importance of participating in the Eucharist, Paul also says that we should examine ourselves before taking the Eucharist, to prepare ourselves for the entrance of Christ into our bodies. he says in full...
"For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes. A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup."
This is the biblical references that support our belief that the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord, Jesus Christ is truely present in the Holy Eucharist. The church has always upheld the belief that the eucharist is indeed the true body and blood of Jesus Christ, and has been celebrated as such since times of the early church when people would congregate in houses and "break bread."



Today the church celebrates the mysteries of the Holy Eucharist on a daily basis. At each Mass celebrated we believe, by the power of the holy spirit, the priest transubstantiates (to change one substance into another i.e. the bread and wine into the body and blood) the hosts into the Eucharist. At each Mass we are privaleged to have Christ himself and all his grace enter our body, santify our soul, and prepare us to meet with him again in the glory of heaven where we will be in a state of constant adoration of the Father, his Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Christ said it best himself in the Gospel of John

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever;... he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and... abides in me, and I in him”

Enter into the grace of this sacrament as often as you can, and recieve Christ who gives life.

Lord I believe, help my disbelief!

+Chad.

No comments:

Post a Comment